Sustainable DC Plan De-Brief
by Chris Weiss, Executive Director, DC Environmental Network
The DC Environmental Network Invites All Metro-Based Environmentalists to a Brown-Bag Discussion:
On March 28th at Noon, join the DC Environmental Network (DCEN) for a special de-brief on Mayor Gray’s Sustainable DC plan that was officially released on February 20, 2013. This event will take place at the offices of the DC Environmental Network, 1100 15th Street, 11th Floor. All are welcome! RSVP Here!
This brown-bag de-brief will feature panelists who participated in the Sustainable DC Working Groups and others:
- Water: Jennifer Peters, Clean Water Action
- Waste: Hana Heineken, Sierra Club, Washington, DC Chapter
- Nature: Anne Lewis, City Wildlife
- Climate & Environment: Kara Reeve, National Wildlife Federation
- Built Environment: Invited Working Group Participants
- Transportation: Ellen Jones, Downtown DC BID
- Energy: Joe Andronaco, Access Green
- Food: Lauren Shweder Biel, DC Greens
Panelist will give quick, 5 minute reports focused on:
• Working Group Discussions: Describe, highlights, main themes of working group discussions, participation, etc..
• Working Group Recommendations: Describe highlights of outcomes and recommendations of working group participants.
• Working Group Final Recommendations v. Final Plan: Compare working group outcomes with what actually ended up in the plan.
We will then convene an open discussion about what we like and what we might want to change. We will be doing a separate event to talk about and focus in on the details about the Jobs & the Economy, Health & Wellness and Equity & Diversity working group process and plan results.
Over the last 20 months the DC Environmental Network has actively engaged the broader environmental community to push the Executive Branch to strive to weave sustainability principles into everything that happens in our nations capital city. DCEN held many coalition discussions and strategy sessions on sustainability issues and participated as a Sustainable DC Green Ribbon panel member striving to represent the interests of the broader green community.
Now that Mayor Gray has finished the initial phase of the Sustainable DC process it is time for the environmental community to analyze and evaluate the final design and goals of the plan.
All are welcome!